Monday, February 28, 2011

Friendship and Generosity

Some friends last forever.  It doesn't matter how often you see each other or even how often you talk.  I recently reconnected with my friend that I've known since first grade (that's like 30 years).  We were with each other through the sticky years of Jr. High and High School (including sewing class and cosmetology school).  To say we understand each other is an understatement.  We didn't talk much through our early years of marriage but we still knew that we were there for each other.  There have been many times when I have called her just because she was on my mind only to find out that something tragic had happened in her family that day.  Or she calls me at a moment when I need it.  She also is great about saying what needs to be said like "You know you hate your hair when it gets like this.  Let's cut it now!".  Or (when we were teenagers) "That outfit doesn't work on you.  Where this instead.".  Or "I saw your flower couches, we'll make mine work in your home." .

Well, she is moved to California yesterday.  I went to her house on Tuesday hoping to be of help to her.  I told her I would scrub whatever needed to be scrubbed.  We did some cleaning, some talking and a lot of laughing!  In the end, I don't know how much help I was to her but I came away feeling very uplifted.  And to top it off, she gave me her beautiful living room set- two couches and a table (thus the "I saw your flower couches...")!  We moved them BY OURSELVES down a narrow, winding staircase and out the front door of her house and onto a trailer.  Then we figured out how to hook up the trailer (her neighbor helped us some) and pulled it to our house!  Just like the old days, always an adventure!  Luckily for us, Allen and a neighbor happened to be here to help us unload the new couches and load the old flower ones on the trailer.  She then took the old ones to DI for me.  Before she left, she took inventory of my living room and told me what I needed to do to make it better.  She has a gift for making people and places better (inside and out).

You want a definition of a true friend and pure generosity, it's her.  She has always been willing to help me and others.  I value her opinion and her faith strengthens mine.  I will so miss her.  I guess that is why email, texting and long-distance phone options are so great, we don't have to loose track of each other.  We can still be close.


 The couches are super comfy and look so good!  We are loving having a coffee table as well.  We spent Sunday building a giant marble run.  Ali managed to use every piece (some were just for looks).  That's 169 pieces!
This is my friends youngest (she has three boys and one daughter).  She is so cute.  She reminds me so much of my friend- in both her looks and her adventurous spirit!

Some "classic" mall photo booth shots of me and her.   They are beauties!!!!

taken in first or second grade

Fourth grade (I think)
I miss her already!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet living room set. Generous friends are good to have (and strive to be like).

    ReplyDelete